Tuesday 7 June 2011

Lifeless


So I went to my studio on Clifton....

There is more to this sculpture than just the hands. It is not eassy to get into! So why am I doing it? I don’t really know and am too afraid to go there right now.


I will simply make it and put all the horror into it that I can. Make it cold. Make it calculating. Make it ugly. Make it painful. This will be at least one statement that I can make.


I have for the first time been counting the hours. So far it has been 5.5 hrs. of work. There is still much to be done. My plan is to give it an under-glaze coat of off white of some kind while it is leather hard then a light wash of a light brown. I plan to finish it with a pure white glistening glaze on the up side of everything to simulate frost.


My plan is to make a stand of about one foot high for it. It will have strands of DNA etchings on the sides coming up over the top edge an inch or two. They will also be off white with a light brown wash to bring out the DNA etchings on the sides.

The hands are my own hands. It is the only way I can do it at this time!

"But God has seen my hardship and the toil of my hands..." 
Gen. 31:42

No comments: