Saturday 14 July 2012

Learning To Fly: What Inspires my Wobbly Flight.


A portion of  the "Holy Ground" sketches.


With the completion of the trial in February of 2011, and the frightening confirmation that I was to have an art show in February of 2012, I became very panicky…I mean serious, about creating pieces for the show. Soooo what do I make first?

With only seven months to prepare there was an obvious limited to the number of pieces I could make. Therefore, I decided, should probably decide on a particular subject matter to emphasise and go with that for my first showing. I made lists of pieces I might do but very quickly I learned that during the process of making pieces, new ideas would come and the enthusiasm for some of the projects on the original list just seemed to fade in importance. Finally, I just went with what inspired me at the time. This apparently was not like my wife sending me out with a grocery list of exact items to get, it seemed to morph as I went along.  

In my attempt to explain where my ideas come from and what inspires my work I believe it would be best to begin an explanation of the piece entitled “Holy Ground”. This piece helps put into context all the work I have done.

These six charcoal sketches were inspired by our fear of the trial. Our trial was to last 5 – 6 weeks. How were we to survive this emotionally, relationally, and even spiritually for that length of time? And that’s not even thinking about the media and their expectations. Several months before the trial we got a hint from some friends of our children who were praying for us. In a phrase we were to approach the trial as if it was “Holy Ground.”  The main Biblical incident involving Holy Ground of course is the story of Moses and the burning bush. It was the presence of God that made that place “Holy” and it was there, in the light and warmth of that fire that God then asked Moses out of respect, to take off his shoes. What a comfort it was for us to know that God was in that courtroom every day of the trial. We were not alone! We often individually would quietly remove our shoes as we sat in the gallery. When the verdict was about to be announced, not having had time to talk as a family beforehand, we did the nudge thing and all of us removed our shoes. We were standing together knowing God was present and in control. I decided to capture it with sketches of each of our family members feet. What a life giving, unifying concept it was for us as a family. Key to our survival throughout those very emotional 5.6 weeks.

The second thing was I needed a distraction. So, I took my sketchbook along. At first I was pretty tentative about sketching anything. I began with some safe subjects like the guards or the lawyers or the jury. But as time went on my emotions became a roaring presence and a sketch of a very well armed lawyer with not only a six gun but a variety of armaments including a rocket launcher pointed at a hapless frightened witness in the witness box appeared on the paper

I never thought of these sketches as being shown at all, but when Ray Dirks heard I’d been sketching he “insisted” they be included in the show. He felt that as the father and not a media artist, that this was most unique. There was no decision it seemed, they had to be shown. So, I swallowed my pride and there they are, my crude coping methods revealed! Of course, I have by now gotten over that feeling, …mostly, and so have forgiven Ray Dirks for that “continual” embarrassment! One of those things you learn as an artist, bank on the fact that everything and anything you “sketch” will one day become public!

There were certain things that “niggled” at me during the trial. First, the huge quick change the science of DNA had made on the justice system. We were always told the system moves very slowly but that it still moves. How there were many “cold cases” coming before the courts again due to the new evidence acquired through this new science of DNA. Second was the general disrespect defence lawyers seemed to pay to witnesses. In fact it seemed the more “expert” they were in their field, like DNA lab experts or directors, the more ridicule, disdain, scoffing, half truths, and misrepresentation seemed to be used against them. I could not understand how any lawyer would expected the jury to fall for such obvious disrespect which was not in line with the answers given by the witnesses at all.

I was aware of the iconic “lady justice” symbol of our democratic justice system. You know, the demure lady with the scales in one hand, sword in the other, wearing a blindfold.  So, to represent these personal issues of mine, I began thinking about how I could do an “updated” personal version of lady justice. So, If you have seen her in my show you will notice the stand beneath her morphing from law books and ring-binders to strands of DNA. Her sword is DNA and her arm going to the scales becomes DNA. Then as to the lawyers disrespect, I tied a cloth over the scales to render them ineffective, basically saying that something is unbalanced here. I have finally decided that the defence is trying to impress their client, who often admire just such tactics and so would believe that their lawyer is doing a fantastic job!

Was I enjoying my “wobbly flight”? Yes and no. During this time of frantic creation I often felt unsure of myself. I have watched young birds flying erratically, seemingly excited about the amazing experience and then crashing on landing, missing branches, doing somersaults on the ground etc. It’s always funny (sadly) but I was often second guessing my decisions, thinking that somehow this would crash and burn. Arguing with myself about the audacity of taking on an icon like Lady Justice. It was most strange at times, but also most exhilarating.


FYI: On July 17 at 7pm I will be speaking at an “ART TALK EVENING” in Altona at the Curling Club next door to the Altona Gallery in the Park. Cost: Free.  RSVP by calling 204.324.9610


Continued Sunday morning with part 2.

“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil…”
Jeremiah 29:11

No comments: