Sunday 15 July 2012

Learning to Fly: What Inspires My Wobbly Flight 2


"6.5 Weeks"


Next, there are two pieces in the show we must consider together, namely “Samson” and “Foxy David”. They specifically reference the subject of misguided male sexuality. Candace our thirteen year old daughter was forced to endure not only the terror of the insanity of a situation beyond anything she’d ever thought could exist, but the torturous pain of being “hog-tied” and left to die of hypothermia. All for the purpose of one man’s addictions and momentary satisfaction due to some sexual perversions. Mark Edward Grant, like David, is suffering the consequences for his decisions, but he also has a chance like David did, to make things right with his people and his maker. Will he have the courage to make those decisions?

I would also like to mention one of the “Trial Sketches”, specifically the snoopy drawing with all the Woodstock’s flying around him and his lady friend. Throughout our ordeal we’ve had friends who have supported us in many ways, some were even able to attend the trial with us. Several friends and family members traveled many miles to join us for a few days they were able. I drew this sketch while they played the police interview of Mark Edward Grant after his arrest. The big screened TV was a few feet in front of us and I needed a distraction, so I sketched this scene first in pencil and then later during the trial, finished it with pen and ink. It was my salute to our many friends and family who prayed and thought of us. So many of you continually came and went always encouraging, sending cards and bringing food or my wife’s favorite thing, chocolate! I cannot say enough…to all our friends, you are truly jewels in our lives, thank you.

Let me conclude with one more piece called “6.5 Weeks.” When I first conceived of this piece it was for the purpose of attempting to identify with Candace in her feelings of terror in the situation she found herself. I wanted to, as much as possible see and feel what she felt. At first my intention was to make the hands her hands, but as piece progressed, I just could not conceive of making them her hands, it hurt too much. So, there was only one other option, they would have to be my hands. If I wanted to identify, then that was it. They would simply have to be my hands. This certainly was a therapeutic, tear-filled piece for me. If only, I could have also, somehow, taken her place.

Was I learning to fly? Yes, I was and still am. It is exciting to know that my work is on display in it’s second showing this year. I’m simply going to keep flapping my wings madly and, with appreciation, do my best wherever “providence” takes me.

FYI: On July 17 at 7pm I will be speaking at an “ART TALK EVENING” in Altona at the Curling Club next door to the Altona Gallery in the Park. Cost: free. Please RSVP by calling 204.324.9610


“He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.”Psalm 91:4

No comments: