Saturday 8 December 2012

My Mentor, Jordan Van Sewell

Sept2012 394

Mr. Sensitive - $3,800.00 


Jordan explains it this way: "these figures look like they could be from The Raft of the Medusa. I'd be concerned about the dog while the guy that looks like Max Ernst remains nonplussed. This is a new work yet to be exhibited. It's a wall piece measuring about 14" x 16"

Hi, it's me. Since I've been rather busy with things other than art in the last week, I thought I'd introduce you to one of my art teachers and main influences in my ceramic work. 

His name is Jordan Van Sewell and these are his latest works. Yesterday I was playing "James the Chauffeur," driving my injured  very "significant other" (that's another story, she's ok by the way just needs a little help and company!) around too her appointments. One was to the McNally Robinson's bookstore on Grant Ave. She was having a meeting in their restaurant. We got a table and noticed that Jordan had his work up on display. Hanging from the walls would you believe. This was new. He usually did sculptures that stood alone, and now he had a whole range of ceramics hanging on the wall! I was entranced and we both walked around examining his work. It was fun, as his work always is. 

Years ago, it took a series of lessons from Jordan. You can imagine how his wild and crazy ideas helped to loosen up my "up-tight" Mennonite brain that had almost totally left brain oriented for all it's life! What a shock to my system. During those classes a total paradigm shift occurred and I was reborn. I am forever grateful to Jorden for his incredible life giving influence in my are paradigm. Our classes as you can imagine from just these images were free wheeling and a lot of fun.

Here is a copy of his bio I lifted from his website.

I’ve been working as an artiste for over 30 years. Although I went to a real art school at university, my early influences were Charles Schultz, R. Crumb and Big Daddy Ed Roth. Growing up on the Canadian Prairies during the sixties, these influences began to include aspects of the British Invasion; specifically the interpretation the British rockers put on American Blues. These images evoked by the music and lyrics of Frank Zappa played large for me as a young teenager. there. We got a table and noticed that Jorden had a display up on the walls. I could not believe it. Both of us walked around looking at each piece. since her appointment had not arrived I Years ago I took art courses from

This work below was called "Oil Bath" at McNallies.

Photo_robotinthetub

Robot in the Tub - $3,800.00 


If you are interested look him up at: http://jordanvansewell.com/

In a few minutes I will be leaving for "Nichie" in the US of A as Wilma and I are going to pick up a "stock" of her most recent books  of the "Ava Series" she's written and has for sale on her website, which is: amitypublishers.com

"Train up an artist in the say he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6 (Note: changed "child" to "an artist"


No comments: