Saturday 15 December 2012

One Week Before the End of the World!

The new painting "Finding Safety" is in progress

I'm sure we have all heard of the Mayan Calendar situation. The theory is that since the Mayans stopped calculating their calendar on December the 21st, it must mean that this is actually the end of the world. 

Now, I know that apocalyptic movies, stories and books are very popular. Not only that, it just so happens that apocalyptic events seem to be happening in increasing numbers and violence during the last decade or two. I can think of two or three that have happened in just the last few days. Added to that, people are doing more and more criminal acts of cruelty and mayhem in tandem with these increasing natural "acts of God" happening all over the world. One of them happened, apparently this very morning, another school shooting in the US. As if that's not bad enough this time it was in an elementary school of young children! Horrible!

Now, the media is asking the question, what if this is the end of the world? If it's real, what in fact should one do? How should one live life with only seven days left to live? Here is what I've heard: 
     - "max out the credit cards and live it up!"
     - "Drink more."
     - "Call people and give them a piece of my mind, what I really think of them, finally have some sweet revenge."
     - "Seek solitude, reflect on my life and try to accept my demise with courage and dignity." (This one actually sounds pretty good!) )
     - "Quit my job."
     - "Watch all the movies on my Netflix queue."

Well, we will be hearing a lot more of these as this week goes on to the suggested doomsday, Dec. 21st. 

Of course many will be taking advantage of this on a business and financial level. Musicians, putting on "Doomsday Concerts", T-shirts and I can't even imagine what else. But where there is money to be made our human brothers and sisters can be very creative. 

I personally believe it's great that we do think about what we should do if in fact this were true. I and my family have been talking about this and feel this should be our concern and lifestyle on a full time basis. We actually should think and live like "today" and every day, is our last day on earth! We should always cut through the fluff of life and make the most of the very short time we have, without the threats and motivation of the world ending to get us to think about it. 

If we all lived, "full time" as if it was the last week our our lives, can you imagine what changes would happen in this world? Why, with everyone living like that, we would help, give, share, max out our cards on feeding the hungry, love our loved ones, say things that mean something, like "I love you" to those precious to us...

Maybe I'm dreaming!

As for myself, I'm continuing to live every day, attempting to make the number one thing, number one in my life. Spiritually, relationally and in the things I love to do. My art is one of them.

"And He said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the great and foremost commandment. The second is like it, You shall love your neighbour as yourself." Matthew 22:37-40 (NASB)












No comments: