Monday 22 August 2011

Give the Lady a hand...


Lady Justice with her new arm and hand.
The dowel support is standing on the base to hold it in
position till it is dry enough to support itself,
especially while it is wrapped up for night.
(I think she's too serious, maybe a joke...)

I was on my way to the studio knowing that the next step would be critical in the development of my "Lady Justice". Her left arm and hand.

First of all I found out the angle I'd begun when I first made the initial arm was not a good angle. I wrapped it in wet chamois and let the arm soften with moisture for a while. During this time I worked on details like making her ears, having them stick out from under the blindfold and smoothing her out, removing rough edges etc.

Then back to the arm,  To get the arm into the right angle, I cut the arm at the elbow and experimented with a new angled cut. After a few tries I got the correct angle and reattached the arm. Then I took new clay and build up the arm, checking it for correct body proportions etc. Then I came to the wrist. Taking some fresh clay I fashioned a hand looking like a mitt, and connected it to the arm. After this, I had to make a brace standing on the base to hold up the arm and the hand in its correct position. The extension of the arm make it impossible for the arm to stay in its correct position, especially with the weight of the plastic used to wrap her up for the next day.

Then on the next day (which was today) I found the arm much dryer and was able to begin carving the correct form of the arm and the details of the hand. This hand will be holding the scale so it needs the fingers going down into a "holding" position.

Tomorrow I build the DNA morphing out of her side into the arm. This will be structured in such a way that it will not only make the symbolic point in the sculpture but will be a main support for the extended arm. (Double duty eh? I like that!)

It has been going well but slow due to the extreme extension of the arm. 

"The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!...." 1 Cor. 12:21

No comments: