Thursday 18 August 2011

Lady Justice Has Changed...


My new (incomplete as yet) Lady Justice, 24" high.
See her right arm and the sword morphing into DNA.
Her left arm will hold her scales.
A detail of the arm and sword.
Notice the clay brace on her foot to keep her from collapsing while drying.

This is a detail of the "stand" beginning with law books and binders
of the old order mophing into DNA at the top.

I was on my way to my studio and I had an idea. As I've been thinking about the trial I mused about "Lady Justice", goggled her and realized it's mostly "old school"! Yes, there has been some efforts to bring her up to date, new clothes, new "sexy" looks and so on, but from my experience I see the whole justice system moving, in some ways kicking and screaming, into the digital age. This is my effort to express the incredible change and impact DNA has had, in a very very short time. Looks to me like everyone is kind of reeling with the dizzying possibilities and results of DNA on and in the justice system.

The sculpture is not finished, the scales and what they will weigh is another decision. I have some ideas floating around...

Then the LORD said to Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?" "I don't know," he replied. "Am I my brother's keeper?" Gen 4:9



2 comments:

Horst Peters said...

looking forward to your show!

Tim Bryant said...

Hi - I was intrigued by the idea of how the image of Lady Justice has changed over time - especially to the image by Romolo Tavani of kind of a perky little set of breasts. The older depictions are of a blousey woman with a very full and round rack. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!