Sunday 11 December 2011

Addicted?

Some of my “paraphernalia”!

With my show coming up beginning on the 27th of January 2011, I have been pretty focused on working at the studio and producing pieces for the show. When people have asked about how my art is going, I have often responded with, “my business is interrupting my art.” This week someone responded that this was very good as one has to support his addiction somehow.

That got me to thinking, am I addicted to my art? Last night we spent an evening with another artist and the question was asked, What is your dream goal for your art? I mumbled something about that it would be in ceramics and that I just needed to create. Am I really addicted?


I went to “About.com” for a definition: “All addictions, whether to substances or to behaviours, involve both physical and psychological processes. Each person’s experience of addiction is slightly different, but usually involves a cluster of some of the following symptoms of addiction. You can still be addicted even if yu do not hve all the symptoms.” About.com Health’s Diseas and Condition content is reviewed by the Medical Review Board.
Lets look at the symptoms...
1.    Needing to engage in the addictive behaviour more and more...
OK yes, there is that, I am probably the most active artist in the cooperative at this time ...I do have a show coming up!
2.    Withdrawal happening when you don’t engage in the activity...
Like “yes” I withdraw to the studio...as much as possible!
3.    Difficulty cutting down the activity...Yea, I have pieces in several stages of their creative process...It’s tough dropping this to do payroll and prepare invoices for sure.
4.    Social activities more focused around the activity...I guess so, I am meeting other artists, curators, art lovers. My social life is me talking about art...to whoever will listen...
5.    Becoming preoccupied with the addictive activity...planning, engaging in...
I guess so...I am constantly thinking about the pieces, the problems I need to solve in their making, the direction I am going with it etc. Also, constantly thinking about what I need to create next...absolutely true.

Then there are the signs of addiction listed...but suffice it to say I have been “stashing” clay and I have been obtaining “paraphernalia” which I would refer to as “tools” to create my pieces. Other than a little “secretiveness” at times that is about it!

If I am addicted, it is the most positive “activity” I have ever experienced. It is giving me the sense that I am actually using a gift I had for many years. It is fulfilling a dream. A dream to do art, allowing my gift to flourish and grow.

I know there is a lot that goes along with that, like taking the risk of revealing who I am in the process. But regarding that, I am leaning on someone who his helping me with that in a very big way.

“For I know the plans I have for you, “declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
Jeremiah 29:11
 

2 comments:

Horst Peters said...

Having passion to employ your God-given gift is not an addiction!

Cliff said...

Thanks Horst appreciate that tons.
Cliff