Sunday 4 December 2011

The Evolution of the Hand.



The evolution of the hand.

I was excited about another thing this week. I have mentioned the “ball” and it’s development. Now, it is time to do the hands.

I know that it is still a mystery for you but I am needing to make several hands for the sculpture involving this ball. Possibly as many as 7 or 8 hands.

Hands are complicated. Many artists, even experienced ones find hands difficult to render. If you look at paintings or sculptures often the hand(s) are concealed conveniently so the artist will not need to do the hands. I know all about that, I have done it myself.

For a while I was drawing a cartoon strip and there I had to render hands all the time. I got much better at doing hands during that phase of my art.

Now, I have to do hands again. These will be my hands. The model for these hands, you understand, is very conveniently close at hand, so that makes it much easier. (No pun intended!)

Once you know the basic structure, it doesn’t seem so problematic. Measure one unit, from wrist to knuckle and compare that with the measure from the knuckle to the end of the longest finger, and you will find these distances almost exactly the same. After that it’s easy, as you can now calculate the lengths of the other fingers and also find the placing for the finger knuckles.

After having done 7 or 8 hands I’ll feel like I’ve accomplished and completed a course in “Hand 101”.

I even have two hands clutching wrists...trying to help one another.

“We are now in your hands. Do to us whatever seems good and right to you.”
Joshua 9:25


No comments: