Saturday 24 December 2011

New Birth


The pressure was on... I had only so much time before the art show was beginning...January 27th, I had to make choices.

I could probably make only one more major sculpture before the show. What would it be?

How do I go about making this decision? Do I stick with one of the lines of thought my work is going on or do I go into a new one? Do I go with another OT figure?...decisions, decisions.

Many years of my life I had always wanted a mentor and never really found anyone. It was so frustrating. Finally, the light went on as I began to get into David’s life. Here was a mentor! Plus, I discovered that there were a lot more of them in the Old Testament!

Each of the OT hero’s have something to offer...I had been thinking about doing one of Samson. Another physical specimen of strength, a leader of Israel for 20 years, but what a confusing leadership it was. What Chaos? Did he ever get it right?

Yet I identified, I saw some things, failures, blind masculinity, desire to succeed, successes, extreme passion usually misguided, a frustration to not only himself but to the people he was supposed to lead. Just how to present this character and his life? This week I got down to sketching ideas. Now not all my sculptures have begun with sketches, sometimes the idea was so clear I would in my enthusiasm just begin with the clay...and it would just emerge.

This one was different. I mulled over this for a few days, began sketching rough ideas in my journal, at the coffee shop, at the studio, at home, (while watching the Jets...) talking, drinking more coffee, just letting him kind of wash over me, soaking in the essence of Samson...nothing seemed to be quite right...I continued waiting for that ah-ha moment...

I’m reminded of the saying, “giving birth to an idea.” that is what it is. Like the birth of a child. Yes there is the “we plan to have a child one day.”, then there is the “Wow, we are going to have a child.” and son we are welcoming the child into the world. Then the nurturing begins, it is a process.

I was driving home from the studio and suddenly, it was there. In my mind I could see the shape and arrangement. It was so clear. There was no doubt; this was the way it just had to be. I was so excited...I came home and made the big announcement, “I got it!”

“...and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them.”
Luke 2:7

No comments: