Sunday 15 January 2012

Issues with "The System"!

Another side of  "The (typically problematic) System"!

I am in my studio and as you could see, in my last blog, I’m preparing to place “The System” into the kiln. In examining the many hands that are “holding the system up” or “involved with” the system I am testing to see that all is well.

To my surprise, one hand breaks away from the ball. Oh no...now I am glad that I did not remove the stand holding the ball up in the air to facilitate attaching the hands. You see, all these hands are to hold the ball up off the table surface. They are supporting the system! So, now are all the hands loose? I continue going around the ball and sure enough, a second hand is loose. And in fact two fingers are cracked and break away from that hand itself!

So much for the “firing” plans.

Is this not really just like any “system”? Whatever it might be. They get so large, they become unwieldy, ego-centric, insensitive, hurting the very people they need to keep them “off the ground” and alive! People turning away or involved and breaking away in hurt and disappointment. Often hanging in there and in the end leaving hurt and broken. I just was talking to a father who’s child wanted to enter a particular nursing school. The administrative process of applying was so cold, harsh and impersonal, inconsiderate... (no bedside manner!)...she decided to turn to another school for her nursing courses! A wise decision to see such issues early in the involvement with “the system.”

I will not be getting consultants and counsellors and the like to fix this situation but will employ other methods to do the repair.

Clay shrinks as it dries. What happened was the two items, the hand and the ball were at different levels of dryness so the hands tore away from the ball since the two items were drying and shrinking at different rates.

I know...another example of how "systems" tend to operate...

“Then the Pharisees went out and laid plans to trap him in his words...”
Mathew 22:15



No comments: