Saturday 14 January 2012

Why Do I Do This? - Part Two.

"Supporting the System" 
about to be fired.

Continuing from last weekend...Why do I do this?

Sixth. I love working with my hands, forming the wet clay into recognizable shapes. Hands moveing automatically forming and shaping, adding and subtracting, sliding, stroking and as the form comes into reality. One seemingly simple or imperceptible change in the surface of the clay can change the spirit, attitude, meaning and message of a figure. It is awesome, and it is sobering. Detail suddenly looms into unimaginable importance. It is seemingly magical.

Seventh. We, all of us, are made in the image of God. He is the great “creator, of nature and of each of us. That creative aspect is part of the image of God in all of us. This is a God given urge and ability. Each of us will express it in our own unique way. So then when I look to God for inspiration and guidance in my own creative adventures, it is the most fulfilling, awe-inspiring and meaningfully thing I can imagine. That in this small way I like God, am bringing things into existence that never existed before. That are original and unique. That the message and layers of meaning are way beyond my awareness and understanding. It is a fearsome thing to contemplate. It is God’s gift to us. I am grateful, in awe and humbled.

Eight. It is a therapeutic thing. It is meditation. Every one of my pieces deal with some aspect of my life, my past, my questions and my desires to express a feeling or a concept. One cannot help but gain new insights during the hours of the creative process, thinking about the issues, questions and implications of the piece you are creating. It brings a sense of wholeness, goodness, healing and satisfaction to my soul.

Last but not least, number nine. The surprises in the process of the making are so amazing, and so fun. As you follow your muse in the making suddenly that look  or form that develops brings something new and different to light. Or, it comes out of the kiln and the colors give it another unexpected dimension. Fantastic. (If it goes wrong...you just start over and it will get even better!)

“...the creator of the heavens, who stretches them out, who spreads out the earth with all that springs from it, who gives breath to its people, and life to those who walk on it:”
Isaiah 42:5



No comments: