Sunday 22 January 2012

There Was One Who Believed.


All because "someone" believed...

My wife Wilma has made no secret of the fact that she first noticed me because of my artistic bent and abilities. Of course, when I fell in love with her I shameless used this to it’s fullest effect, and as you can see, it worked!

From the very beginning she has always encouraged me in my art. I could never really list all the ways for because she loved this part of me it just was part of our relationship.

It was exciting and strange for me, that someone was excited about this, for at that time in my life I saw it as almost a curse. I had learned from the important people in my life like teachers and parents that art and doodling was bad as my grades always suffered when I engaged in art. Even the very conservative culture I grew up in disparaged “art” and so this interest by an amazing young woman was nothing but refreshing and breathtaking for me.

As the years went by her enthusiasm and serious efforts in encouraging me began to change my perspective. I to came to “believe” that it was "possibly for real" and that, some day, like in retirement, I (we) would seek to more fully engage this latent thing called art. We often dreamt of working together, merging our gifts, on projects, she would write and I would do illustrations, photography etc.

During the trial, one year ago, for the first time in my life I was doing sketches from my heart and soul. It was this event that like coffee in the morning, jolted  me into using my gift as an expression of my inner self. I could not turn back. It was like the floodgates opened and Wilma was trying to coax me very sensitively wondering if this was it. She began using every way possible to nourish this new thing along. She need not have worried. Though it was all new to me she had succeeded during our 43 years of marriage in making a believer out of me too.  I was on my way. I found a studio and moved into it in June of last year. This week Friday I will have my “coming out party”. My first real art show. The very first time I am really expressing myself in my art.

The interesting thing, Wilma, my amazing wife, the one who “believed” is the one facilitating the event! She, during her years at MCC working for victims of serious crime organised with Ray Dirks, curator of the Mennonite Heritage Gallery an art show for victims of crime. After the trial, she resigned from this position, but a date for another art show had already been arranged. In discussions with Ray, she suggested this slot now be taken to show Odia’s (our daughter) and Cliff’s art. (Including another victim and two of our supporters who are also artists!) Ray agreed and here we are, less than a week away from opening night!

Today, I give tribute and heart felt loveing “thank you” to the most amazing, beautiful woman in my world. A toast to the one who “believed” with a love that risked it all, my wife, Wilma Derksen.

“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. I does not dishonour others, it is not self seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always preserves.”
1 Corinthians 13: 4-6


No comments: