Friday 13 April 2012

“Creativity” Means finding my Inner Child





Drawn "live"
Two things happened this week that have me traveling on the “What is Creativity” journey. Both events had to do with children.

First, as you know I was asked, on Good Friday, if I would be willing to do something for the children on Sunday morning. I was to draw a mural for “the big plan” while the narrator read what the big plan was to the kids. Wow!

I had a very busy Saturday, working, cleaning, doing quotes and so during coffees and lunch I read the narration and made plans for my sketches. Sunday morning before going to church I counted the drawings and made a grid on the drawing surface for a guide to prevent myself from ending up with the drawings all crowed on one side. That would not look good. Left brain stuff! Anyway you see the results above.

What was most fascinating was the curiosity of the kids. After it was all and the kids were making their way out, many stopped and stood in front of the mural, quietly, seemingly carefully, examining the work. What were they thinking?

The second event was Wed. night. I was back at “The Mix” where the kids painted the cups they fashioned out of clay a few weeks earlier. Yes, the cups were creative! The theme was “my cup is running over” and all kinds of stuff was made to bubble up and run over the edges of those cups. Also, lots of designs were carved into the sides of the cups. Of course I did explain how to make bubbles and fountain effects etc., whatever I explained was fashioned in abundance and more.

They had no fear. Their hands and fingers were busy. They had clay doing things no one has ever thought of! It was fun. It was an adventure. It was in a word “Creative” beyond measure. (If in fact it can be measured.)

This week these creations had been bisked and were now to be painted. It all continued in the same vain. All colors of the rainbow were provided and they were all used. Cups got painted, clothing got painted, even faces had paint streaks on them. There were cups of every color and design. A veritable feast of color for the eyes. I’m so sorry I did not take a picture of them. It was awesome!

After they had finished their cups, they gathered around and I shared a few thoughts with them. I simply had to tell them that the best and greatest artists in the world were in fact, sitting right in front of me. That they were amazing artists and that what they had done was what true “creativity” was all about.

As kids they do things that are naturally creative. They have the freedom and ability to play. They have no embarrassment of abandonment. They can move into their right brain without effort. They have a freedom and fearlessness an artist would die for. I told them that from now on I would try to bring out the child in me when I do art. They are my new art mentors.

Picasso said: "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up."

“...Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me...for it is the one who is he least among you who is the greatest.”
Luke 9:48

No comments: