Sunday 1 April 2012

How Much are We Missing?


My Church needed a picture of me,
so I decided I needed an angel to accompany me.
"Just to be clear", the angel is the one in the drawing behind me!

I have been thinking lately about things beyond our senses.

Just yesterday Wilma mentioned an option for a design we were discussing with a contractor and I missed it. (Probably doing something I should know a man cannot do, “multi-tasking”...trying to plan a cabinet while listening to the hockey game!) I only discovered I’d missed it as we sat before the cabinet maker and discussed “our” plans, which were now new information for both the cabinet maker and myself! So, I joined the cabinet maker in questions of understanding and clarification! Dhuuuu...

Point? We don’t see or hear everything! We have no idea how much we are missing!

Some animals, see in the dark, we need flashlights. Some have a much wider pitch range of hearing, we as human in comparison are almost deaf, and so they are able to hear sounds we will never hear.

How much are we missing? Like right now I hear sounds outside my house. I know someone is there. What they are doing I cannot tell. Who they are I do not know. What are they wearing, I’d have to guess. Unless I get up and look outside the window and see something I will only have to imagine and make assumptions as to all the above questions.

My Bible and my inner experiences tell me there are forces and beings that exist beyond, in a world we cannot see or hear. Namely forces for good and forces for evil that have fought since the beginning of time over us as humans. We sense their presence, hear their whispers and urges and we do make decisions. I, (we) sensed there presence, especially during the trial. Forces for good and evil battling it out, one side attempting to lure us into rage and the other protecting us.

I have begun doing a series of large charcoal drawings dramatising this world we cannot see but know is there. It’s an experiment of “what if it looked like this?” It’s not theology, it’s “what if?” Paul encourages us metaphorically to “put on the whole amour of God” for our own success in this battle. Angels and demons are usually portrayed using swords, shields, spears and the like. Is it possible they use other methods of warfare? Might an electrical charge be their way? Maybe they use something like “the force” we saw in “Star Wars”?

So here is my first effort to “see” what it is we might be missing.


“Therefore submit yourself to God and resist the devil, and he will flee from you.”
James 4:7


No comments: