Sunday 20 May 2012

Goliath's Sword



The belt becomes a brace.


Let us continue with “Foxy David”. I have finished his legs, his feet, his robe which is larger and has more drapery than the last Foxy David. There is one more thing I need to work on before I can let him dry. Golioth’s sword needs support.

There have been many ideas about the character of Goliath but it is true that everything about him was large and intimidating. He was nine feet three inches tall. He was a warrior and had already won many single man to man “champion” type battles for his nation. Therefore he carried trophies of his past victories. These trophies would include armour from his various fallen foreign enemies. Therefore the sword he carried is thought to have been the sickle type shown here which he got from the Canaanites and was later, because of it’s effectiveness, adopted by the Egyptian army.

In this sculpture I have his “power sword” (the traditional straight sword) in his left hand. Now, the sword is large being Goliath's, so it needs some bracing. I could probably let it go with just the bottom of it against his foot and the tombstone on which he is sitting but that is risky. One little bump on the arm or sword and it could snap off very easily. I need to brace it up somewhere, somehow to help hold it sturdy and look reasonably natural.

I have decided to use the “belt” that would be part of the scabbard to lie in such a way that it is also bracing the whole piece, giving it stability.

The picture at the top shows  you what I have in mind. It is quite delicate work, rolling a strip of thin clay and keeping it in one piece as you place it where you want it. Then, re-enforcing it in the crucial spots to re-enforce the ultimate purpose and that is to be a true brace to solidify the way the sword is set.

OK, now I have draped the extended parts of the piece with damp cloth/paper towels so the drying will be even. Then I’ve covered him with plastic and we will leave him for a while. When he’s leather hard I will again do some details.

I wish to have him ready for the Altona show and need to deliver him on May 25. I hope that will work. I think I’ll have to ask for an extension...

“For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword...”
Hebrews 4:12

David and Goliath


Philistine SwordGoliath’s Sword






















No comments: