Saturday 26 May 2012

That Unexpected Twist.



“Project Angel”

It was Tuesday, May 22nd, and I was working in my studio. There were several pieces for the art show that were still not ready, so I was “lost” working on them. Suddenly I realised it was 2:30PM and that If I was to make it for my art delivery appointment in Altona, that I actually had only one hour to pack the van. I did the calculations and discovered that if I hurried, and all went well, I should make it.

Fortunately, I had packed all my art, ready for travel, after the last art show so all I had to do was bring it out of storage, down the stairs and into the van. On the way, I picked up my wife from home and we were off the one hour trip to Altona. We were going to make it for the appointed time.

As usual, there are deadlines for submitting information on your art to the Galleries. I had already forwarded my artist statement and the write-ups for each piece on display. In the process I’d decided on a theme for the show and wrote up the display notes relating to that theme.  

As we were moving my stuff into the Gallery conversation between our daughter, the curator of the gallery, my wife and I revolved around the subject of my winged sculpture, my warrior angel charcoal drawing and such. A phrase came up. It was the name the police had coined for the investigation of Candace’s murder. They had called it “Project Angel”.

What I did not really realise was that, at the mention of that phrase the two ladies of my life kind of stopped in their tracks saying, “Why don’t we call this art show ‘Project Angel’”?

Now, for me, this was the twist! I hesitated. I had to process this. To give myself time, I stopped moving things, straightened my back, wiped my brow hoping this would look “normal”. I could see there was this kind of “it’s a no brainer decision”, emanating from their expectant faces. But I seriously, had to consider a few things. My mind was going…First, I’d invested a lot of time and thought into my first idea for the theme and I had liked it. Secondly, there was this practical question, I’d already submitted my theme applying it to everything, was it still possible at this late date to change it and re-submit the material? Thirdly, there was my ego I had to consider. Actually, I had to admit, this was a good Idea. Now, my first idea sounded quite flat. This was much more dynamic. It had punch! Drat it! It sounded sooo good. Why had I not thought of that?

Let me say this. I also knew at that moment (confirmed with a lot of past history of wise choices) that I had the two smartest, publicity and promotional savvy women I know, in my very own life. I had to admit it was a very good idea. It truly was a no brainer.

Hoping that my “processing” had not taken too long to be considered a male issue of some kind, I agreed. They were delighted. Nothing, it seemed, stood in the way of making the adjustment. I could re-write it and all would be well.

I learned something from this “unexpected twist”. I do have a fantastic “built in focus group” I should be looking too more often.

"Whoever isolates himself seeks his own desire; he breaks out against all sound judgement.”
Proverbs 18:1

No comments: