Sunday 24 June 2012

Artist Talk: the Days Landmark Event # 2.

My work on display at the Altona Gallery in the Park .

And now, the second landmark event of the day, that was, Thursday, June 21, 2012.

At  3:50PM I rush out of my studio, tear down the stairs, and drive home impatiently, through rush hour traffic. I do a quick change and we are on our way to Altona, an hour away. We are going there for the 7pm  “Artist Talk” that will be held in the Altona Curling Rink facility next door to the gallery where my pieces are on display.

To complicate matters, I have not had supper yet!  I say “I” because Wilma insists she just wants coffee…ha! Forty-three years of marriage history tells me otherwise!

On our way out of the city we decide to pass on eating in the city, thinking we will stop for supper in Morris, about half way to Altona. Well, we cannot see anything except restaurants there and I’m too nervous to order a meal and see our precious time disappear. For this event I am determined not to be late. Wilma declares I’m excited!!!! (She of course, is right!)

We decide to eat in Altona. We get there in good time, and stop for supper at McDonald's. I order a burger meal, then I get two containers of ketchup, one for her and one for myself, placing the chips between us, (remember her comment about having only coffee for supper?) I enjoy my burger as she calmly “dives” into the chips. I did manage to have three or four! I simply believe this is a “right brain” thing, totally unconscious, I love that about her, and nothing needs to be said. J

But, I digress…we got to the curling rink in good time. Wilma chose the last row for us to sit in and while she was in the washroom I moved us to the front row! Ha!

The speaker was Pat Bovey. I had goggled her name earlier and was very impressed with the quality of speaker the Altona Gallery in the Park had lined up. Here are some things I discovered:

Pat Bovey is a …“Winnipeg-based historian, author, consultant, and former director of the Winnipeg Art Gallery and Art Gallery of Greater Victoria. Pat Bovey teaches art history, cultural policy and arts management at the University of Winnipeg…”

It also mentions that She’s been on numerous boards, has received quite a few awards including “Woman of Distinction for the Arts” and several other medals.

Can you see why I was considering this a “must see” event?

Her presentation was warm, engaging, knowledgeable and informative. Thorough-out her talk she included examples from Winnipeg and Manitoba artists. It was great to hear how these artists were part of and involved with the cultural trends and developments of art in Canada and around the world.

She described what art is and what it dose. She described what art galleries do and the impact art has on culture and society. She shared a lot of statistical evidence showing the difference art makes in enhancing our educational system. Showing for example, that people who do art live longer! They have more life satisfaction and function better in society as a whole.  How art increases the public pride of the town, city, province and country.  And much more.

She described how artists connect with galleries using the Winnipeg artist Ivan Eyre as an example. (If you go to the Pavilion at the Assiniboine Park you will see some of his art on display.)

She fielded questions from the audience, with the general attitude that nothing was impossible. If you have a dream, there are ways to go for it. Someone from a one-coffee-shop-gas station type town asked how she could have a gallery set up for the few artists in that area. Pat engaged, gave good suggestions plus resources for her to follow up on. She left her card with her encouraging her to call anytime. Wow.

She made herself available after the presentation, chatting with members of the audience.

It was a great learning and inspirational experience for me. Compliments to the leadership of the Altona Gallery in the Park for bringing Pat Bovey in, an incredible resource for all aspects of, and anyone involved in the arts. From the response of those in attendance it was fantastic. From the response of the gallery leadership, "She will be back."

“And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable persons who will also be qualified to teach others.”
2 Timothy 2:27

No comments: