Saturday 2 June 2012

Going to the Next Level.




"Project Angel"

I know I’m slow this morning. I apologize for that, but I do have an explanation. I am still processing the events of last night. Trying to figure out exactly what happened. And, as a famous defense lawyer used to say, “to be perfectly clear” I had only juice to drink all evening!

Last night was the opening night of my new art show in the Altona Gallery in the Park. This was an event for the “Friends of the Gallery” (financial supporters), the showing artists and for a limited number of “by invitation only” guests of the above. Drinks and hors d’oeuvres were served.

I knew this would be a little different for me. Some things which were different from my first showing included: Firstly, that my very first showing happened in Winnipeg, my (our families’) home town. We had a lot of personal history and connections with our tragic story there. Secondly, it took place in the Mennonite Heritage Centre. This is a kind of “church” and “home” connection. A further deeper connection for us in Winnipeg. Thirdly, our personal friends and acquaintances were mostly in Winnipeg. That certainly gave that first show a completely different flavor for me. Fourthly, the opening night was open to the public, this was not. That meant that a lot of our personal friends from both present and past showed up. Now, in comparison to this event, I can see this created a very different personal experience. Also, now that I think about it, that was probably, just what I needed for a “first time showing” of my serious art. Friends coming around and affirming this my new artistic venture.

That is not to condemn what happened last night, not at all. I see this now as moving to the next level. Biblically speaking, “moving from Jerusalem out into the world!” Will my body of work “live” and “thrive” and be meaningful beyond my personal family, friends and city? It will now be observed more objectively, more and more by visitors who do not know us and who may not have heard of our story. Can it stand on it’s own? Will it be seen as art?

What a privilege to be in this gallery with such other well known and respected artists. The main artist showing his work is Don McMaster, a naturalist and lover of the outdoors. His work includes paintings of his “David Thompson Project,” a series he’s done about the explorer’s life and work on the prairies. Don has worked hard to render the events as they happened and as they might have looked, attempting to be as historically correct as possible. They are amazing. I am planning to take a day and spend some time absorbing his work later.

My work, which is very much a contrast to the rest of the showings, was set up very artistically and as you can see below, looks very classy. The rest is up to the pieces to do their thing! Go for it guys.

“I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye.”
Psalm 32:8


A portion of the “Project Angel” art show.

No comments: