Sunday 10 June 2012

Flight: Escape to Freedom


The hand becomes a wing...

I have often had dreams where I could fly. They are fantastic dreams, soaring over the earth, turning, diving, climbing, I love to fly. How often have I looked at birds with just such a wish, that I could fly like them.

Literature through the ages, poets, writers, of all races have used the symbolism of flight in many ways. Flight is an idea of freedom. It suggests liberty, deliverance, escape. Flight can also represent the spirit or soul of a person. The direction of flight is also important, for example flight downward is bad, usually a hellish kind of destination, while flying upward is good, usually a heavenly destination.

Feathers themselves again are a common symbol used in literature throughout the world. When we were in Egypt I remember the tour guide telling us that one of the gods would weigh the soul of a newly dead person against a feather to determine it’s eternal destiny. Normally feathers symbolise things such as truth, speed, lightness, ascension etc. White feathers also mean innocence or a fresh start in a spiritual sense.

When I began to consider making a companion piece to "6.5 Weeks",  I was thinking about escaping a very tragic and difficult situation that Candace our daughter found herself in. My piece “6.5 Weeks” had to do with just this situation. But I began to understand that this was only part of the story. That piece leaves her in a tied up situation. I needed to now somehow represent the next phase of her life. I had always been thinking about how she could have escaped, or how she could have been found by someone and given her freedom again. My mind was locked in those kinds of scenarios when suddenly I realised that her death itself was the escape. It was an escape from facing this demonised man to her heavenly destination. A place of no pain, no abuse or tears. It was tough on us, but really in her situation it became her only live option.

That is why my working title for this piece was “mercy flight.” That is why I used the symbol of the tied hands becoming “white” wings, the rope (the agony and the pain) falling away, forgotten in the anticipation of her “upward” flight to her awesome heavenly destination. She is free indeed.

“You yourselves have seen what I did to Egypt, and how I carried you on eagles’ wings and brought you to  myself.”
Exodus 19:4



No comments: