Friday 28 September 2012

A Throne for the Kingdom 2




The seat of the empire.

I know, you are wondering what is happening with the “sword throne”? Well, it has been in an incubation period.

The last you saw of it was “the plan” and then the cut slabs laying on boards.

What I needed to do was allow the cut slabs for the chair to dry to a leather hard state. That way, when I do build the chair, it will have the stiffness to stand. For the “incubation” aspect, I got spacers and stacked the two boards one on top of the other. This was to save space as I have a very small cubical of a studio. So this becomes of paramount importance. You can see them in the photo covered with my cool blue garbage bags. I left them that way to dry for a week or more. This week I unpacked these slabs and began putting the basic part of the throne together.

I lay the slab for the back of the chair down on a board and built the rest of the chair on that. Like a chair laying on it’s back. Because the slabs were leather hard I made sure the joints were well scored and received a good supply of slip (Wet clay with pudding like consistency.) I slapped on with a brush for a good firm connection.

It was the front panel that became the most difficult as it was the only piece that hung horizontally across the span of the chair. Since the chair was laying on its back there was no natural support for it. The distance was too far for it to support itself. You can see from the photo how I built a prop for it, using styrofoam, a chopstick cut to size and a sanding tool handle etc. for just the right height to keep it in its proper place. (I have a supply of chopsticks for just such purposes)

Sunday morning, we go to the next phase of the “throne of swards.”

“...and behold, a throne was set in heaven...”
Rev. 4:2


The scaffolding for the front piece.
Notice the air release holes under the armrests.










My cool blue garbage bags.




No comments: