Sunday 16 September 2012

A Throne for the Kingdom!


Revisions have already been made from this first calculation!

Construction begins...

So where does one begin with this project? A king sitting on a throne. Of course we must begin with answering some basic questions.

1.     How large do I want the figure of Saul himself to be?
2.     Do I begin with the figure if Saul or the chair?
3.     If I make Saul a certain size, what will the size of the whole figure be?
4.     What is the relationship with the figure and the chair? Meaning will they be one unit or separate pieces where the two are not attached
 too one another?

I decided to plan the figure of the king first. How large would he have to be for me to be comfortable with him. You know, showing the roots around his body and so on. He is the main character and so this detail is important. Despite the size and imposing aspect of the chair, he is the main feature.

Whenever one makes these calculations one needs a “unit of measurement”. For a human type of figure, the size of the head is the unit of measurement to use. You will see examples of this in any art information on the human anatomy. Usually a picture of two human figures, a male and female with their head size calculated down the whole figure. Usually about 7.5 heads from top to bottom.

So I began doing this with Saul. I settled on a 3 inch sized head. When I had completed calculating his body size, I began with the chair. The key measurement for this was Saul’s lower leg size. Since he would be “sitting” on the throne, then whatever the length of his leg was from foot to knee would be the height of the seat from the floor. Since the length of this part of the anatomy is 2.5 heads on the human male I was able to apply that to the chair. If the seat was this particular height from the floor, (or chair leg height) 7.5 inches, then I could calculate the size of the whole chair. Using the picture I had of the “sword throne” I measured each aspect and transferred it to the number of 3 inch heads everything was. The result was a throne that would end up being about 21 inches in height. My tallest piece up till now is 24 inches high, so this I felt would be manageable.

Then, I got out the porcelain clay, put it through the slab roller, and began cutting out the various pieces of the chair to size. These were then placed on boards to dry so I could put them together later. For now they were to wet and due to their size, needed to dry so they would “stand” when put together.

And so, the dye is cast. I am on my way to building the throne. Will the Kingdom survive?

“He is like a man building a house, who dug and went deep, and laid a foundation on the rock....”
Luke 6:48


No comments: