Sunday 18 November 2012

A “Work in Progress”


Yesterday I mentioned my new challenge. To do something that will be a challenge for me. That is, talk about myself and to represent myself and my work to art Galleries out there. This is not my comfort zone so, if you don’t mind I’m going to take a chance and begin working on my “Artist Statement” below.  

Artist's Statement November, 2012
 
Sitting through the 2010 preliminary hearing and the 2011 trial, 23 years after the loss my daughter, brought out a lot of emotions and feelings that just needed to be expressed. As I sat in the gallery listening I had to do something and so I brought my sketchbook which became not only a way to express pent up feelings but a distraction during some very difficult days and moments.

It so happened that I moved nto my art studio during this time, which to my surprise released a sort of frenetic burst of creative energy and inspiration. Personally, I believe it was therapeutic.

My artistic expression is mostly through the medium of ceramic sculpture. The subject matter includes and ranges from mythical, symbolic, spiritual and religious pieces expressing the twists and turns of a hurting and battered father. The surface treatments are monochrome in color and are painted in acrylics or similar mediums. In addition, the body of work also includes trial sketches, charcoal drawings and paintings.

During the different showings I’ve been privileged to have, I have noted that the work is both emotional and thought provoking. The show triggers memories and events in the lives of viewers in a very vivid way. It is my hope that my journey through the haze of tragedy will confirm to viewers that we are not alone and that we have amazing resilience within ourselves, and some important resources available, not only to make do, but to survive and to move on.

“The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.”
Psalm 34:18
Reminder:
The “Walk with Us for the Candace House Fundraiser”
will take place November 30th, 2012
4:00pm – 8;00pm at the Wildewood Club,
761 North Drive, Winnipeg MB
for more information call:
 
204-255-2757
The well known story of the good Samaritan describes how many ignored the plight of a crime victim, except for one person, who took the victim to a place of safety and healing. Candace House is envisioned as the 21st century version of this inn – a safe, comfortable, friendly home where victims can connect with others who are on a journey toward healing, and who have stopped at this oasis for timely information, nourishment, and encouragement along the way.

No comments: