Saturday 10 November 2012

My Love-Hate relationship with P S.



Having solved the problems...
here are the first of the spikes on the
“knife-like” crest of the back of the throne.

I know what you’re thinking, “Hey Cliff you missed a letter there in your title for this blog, instead of ‘P S’ I’m sure you meant ‘PMS’! But then maybe not, I know, it means ‘postal service’, everyone would understand that one.......mmmmmm!”

I know there are several options for what that might stand for, “Public Service”, “People Skills”, or.... and so on.

Here is the “hate it” part. "PS" is something I cannot get away from. It literally stalks me, showing up a lot of times in the course of my life, but almost always at the most inopportune times. Let me give you a poor example. It’s like when I’m working outside on my yard, concentrating on what I’m doing, turn around and there’s my neighbour, standing behind me with that mischievous grin on his face! Scares the daylights out of me every time! When I ask him how long he’s been there he never tells the truth! Other than that “one little thing” he’s a fantastic neighbour. That’s it, the very reality of life makes it part of my existence, I know it and have to resort to using it a lot.

The thing is that when this ‘P S’ is necessary, I’m frustrated and wishing it and all it stands for would just go away. But for me to go forward I have to engage with ‘it’.  There’s no getting around it. This week I tried to ignore it by doing other things for a while. But I knew, I’d have to engage with it sometime.

The other frustrating thing I hate about PS is that to engage with it means work. “It” makes you think. You may even have to do research, ask questions, make phone calls and so on.

Now the “love” part. Once I engage with PS and get into doing the work, I usually begin to feel better. First of all you feel better because you are not ignoring it but working at it. Secondly, hope for results arise and that is always exciting. And that is the thing about PS. What I do love about it is you are learning. You are beginning to see possibilities for moving ahead. Then, there is the part where the victory is won. The issues are resolved and you move ahead. You learned something. You faced the giant, overcame the problem and are back on track. That is what is good about dealing with PS.

“Ok Cliff, tell me already, what in the world is PS?” You have probably guessed, it is “problem solving”.

Once I finished the back of the chair I was stumped. How do I do those spikes at the top of the back? I know it sounds crazy. It seems to be such a simple problem. I did some other work on another project and left the chair alone for a while, stewing on the problem of the spikes. Do I do them first or last, work for the top or the bottom? How do I relate them to the front and the back of the chair? Especially with the thickness of the clay on the lip at the top of the back.

Also, I think I was tired, problem solving challenged. Then, I decided to start at the top. Once the clay was in my hands, solutions began to simply materialise as I went along. I realised very quickly that I needed to make two identical spikes, one for the front and one for the back. They would come up the back join at the top becoming one, supporting themselves as they extended above the top of the back. Also, it became clear I needed to cut the wide top lip  bringing it to a knife-like edge so the two spikes could joint smoothly and become one beyond the top. It all worked great, and the spikes began to materialise one after another.
 
Like someone somewhere has probably said, “The annoying necessity of problem solving is an opportunity for the joy and anticipation of new and exciting  achievements.”

“God is our place of safety...He is always there to help us in times of trouble.” 
Psalms 46:1 



Cutting the top of the thrones back 
to a knife-like edge.

No comments: