Saturday 3 November 2012

How's Your Lower Back?



What a week it’s been!

We got back from our trip to Minneapolis and hit the week hard. Since it’s the last week of the month my business took some extra time so my time in the studio was at a minimum.

Still it is surprising what one can accomplish when the plan ahead is clear and one is focused. Last weekend I did described a plan for how the back of the “Throne of Swords” would have to be done. Originally, As you know I had envisioned a single sheet of clay making up the back of this throne. It had become obvious that would not do, as the size of the chair demanded a back too large for the strength of one sheet. So let us begin with the lower back! 

Since I had already measured and cut the sheets needed for this next step last week, I simply needed to do the assembling of the pieces. Before we left for Minneapolis I had to run back to the studio as I’d left these clay pieces in a relatively unwrapped state so they would dry to a leather hard state and be ready for assembly on the next day, Saturday. Well, now with the trip we would be gone till Monday, two extra days of drying time would result in the pieces becoming too dry, so I re-wrapped them much tighter in light of that new reality.

As you can see in the top photo, I began by adding the lower back, inner support pieces. You can see I made those round openings in the back panel of the chair and also in the middle of the support pieces. This is to facilitate the movement of heated air through the inner parts of the hollow back. We cannot have any air locks anywhere. Also, this will allow the temperature to even out throughout the whole chair easily during the firing process. You might be wondering about the strange material on these supports, it’s wet paper towelling. This is simply to keep them from drying further as I work and to actually soften the edges so the connection with the next piece will be a good one. Damp pieces of paper towelling is my “go to” way of keeping my pieces at the correct moisture levels as it takes time working on large pieces like this. The drying continues and one has to control it at all times.

After this I prepared the next piece, a large slab of clay that would now become the new back of the chair, resting against these supports. I scored every edge, added the “cement”, (wet clay) then carrying the clay slap on the board it had been drying on, simply placed it in the upright position against the bottom and let it gently lean onto these supports. Since it was leather hard it stood on it’s own which made it easy to simply apply pressure on the contact points with these supports for a good bond. You can see the results on the photos to the right. 

Many people have been asking me, “How long did it take to do this sculpture?” I have had a real problem answering that as the work is so varied in what is involved. So, for the first time I am actually logging my hours on a project. What you see done here took 2.5 hours. So, in total I have now logged exactly 50 hours on this project! And I still have the upper back to do plus the king who will be sitting on this chair! Wow. It’s going to be a few hours!

Tomorrow, we tackle the upper part of the back of the chair. How will I do this? mmmmm?

“If anyone remains joined to me, and I to him, he will bear a lot of fruit...”
John 15:5

















No comments: