Thursday 15 September 2011

Ladies and Gentlemen, Jonah's Done!


A "man of steel" who is unaware that
he's going down!

Jonah, a Man of Steel, 2011, 18" long x 10" wide x 15.5" high, clay and antique gells
Photo's: Cliff Derksen

I was very happy as I left my studio today. I have finally, after a few attempts, been able to complete a sculpture that is very near my heart.

The subject of this sculpture was instrumental in making me who I am today. Jonah and his story became an uncomfortable yet very encouraging kick start to my personal spiritual renewal. Because of this I agonized over how he should not only be crafted, a "he-man" blindly driving a sinking boat. But what colors should I chose to compliment this mindset.

A mind-set that I began to understand was a reality for me and is a reality for a lot of men today.

Therefore it would be the color that would make him look "right" as a sculpture.

I chose finally to go metallic. This would correspond with his inner issues of going it his own way,  And, living life blind to reality, destroying himself and others as he lives with this masculine “straight jacket” that will eventually destroy him, despite his delusions of strength and power.

The iron or metal look I believe goes well with this idea and makes the presentation complete.

I for one, like it.

"An unfriendly man pursues selfish ends; he defies all sound judgment."
Prov. 18:1


1 comment:

Horst Peters said...

I love it! He looks like flawed steel.