Friday 23 September 2011

My Artist Statement is Percolating


A first attempt...

I have to make an "Artist Statement". I have no choice. The time is coming when I will be asked to produce one for the art show in January. I'm in big trouble!

If I think this is a problem, wait till I go through "opening night" of the art show. I will be sweating bullets. I am beginning to feel something like a virgin on wedding night! Why?  Because I don't know who I am as a artist in this new-to-me "art world" that I have become a part of. I have no historical context, practically no artistic history....I'm just a little little pea in this huge ocean of the artistic world...I think I need a life jacket...

But, it is a good thing to know that I am having fun in the "making" of my art. I  am learning and I am pushing myself to express what I feel. I am learning what that process for me is all about. I feel like I'm learning to drive and the gears are grinding quite a bit. I hope simply to be as authentic as a can, within the boundaries (where-ever those are) in this crazy art world.

I do not even know what my "voice" is. I read of a potter who spent over  a year, after his education, in a little shack alone by the lake to work out his "voice" in the expression of his art. He is now a successful artist making a living doing what he loves. Now I do know that this is rare, making a living at pottery!

Here is a definition of an "Art Statement" I found on the Internet.

Definition by Artist and writer Katherine Tyrrell (Feb. 18, '09)
"An artist's statement provides an insight into the artist's work and how it came about. In short, an artist's statement is a brief summary of what an artist would say if they could explain their own work in person. It focuses on the present while providing as much information from the past as is relevant. The best artist's statement is authentic and is written in the artist's own voice, although not always by the artist, and in language which is always simple and accessible."

Now that is both reassuring and scary.

I will be gone to a retreat this weekend and maybe I will come up with some ideas!

"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young (or old!)....Show the believers how to be pure." 1 Tim. 4:12

No comments: