Tuesday 4 October 2011

A Warrior Emerges...

He was all white, looking a Little "washed out"
Even with this first coat he's looking stronger!
The transformation continues...

I am finally back at my studio. It is month end, and my business demands my time at the end of each month. So it is good to be back.

It is also an experience to begin to see a row of "finished work" on my shelves. I keep wondering, for example, "is this color OK, did I do the right thing? With that comes a feeling of satisfaction that "for now" this is acceptable. I am learning to trust myself for having followed my feelings....

Above, you see the "Resting David". This is a sculpture I'd done a while back before I came to understand how I was going to finish them. So he just "sat" there (literally) waiting for me to come to my senses. I am discovering that what I once feared I am now actually enjoying! My sculptures have become in effect like a painting or canvas on which I can express my emotions even further from the actual formative process of the figure. The trick is that the sculpture and the finished surface (for me) match. Other's might think differently but that is OK.

David is my favorite Biblical character and so I will be doing more of him later. For  now though, I will finish this one and continue to pursue works having to do with the theme of our art show coming up at the end of January, 2011.

On completely another subject, today I got an amazing invitation to do a presentation to children on "The Art of Cartooning". Wow, this is exciting and sounds like so much fun. How can I say "no!"

OK, back to David, he's wearing armor, do I put blood on it...?

"...whenever Saul saw a mighty or brave man, he took him into his service."
1 Sam. 14:52
(David was one of these men!)



 





1 comment:

Horst Peters said...

David looks Awesome! The colours are a great choice. If you're going to splash blood on his shield you probably need to do the same for his sword and breastplate - may be a few fine drops on his arms too?