Thursday 13 October 2011

"Evidence of Presence."

Rough work, but it is
"Evidence of Presence"

There is something about DNA. Since the trial I have been mulling over what DNA is all about.
    - I have googled it and found articles, studies, experiments...it is a new language to me and I cannot follow...
    - I have googled "images" of DNA ... and it is a new world wild in the extreme...from grids to wild and crazy forms with no apparent organization, color, circles, curly streams, strings, formations...
    - I have attempted to get my mind around how to represent it...
    - But finally, mostly I have been thinking about what it means to  me...

DNA was the foundation of clearing a 27 year mystery in the life of our family. It represents justice. It represents a clearing of the mind of suspicions, questions, doubts and mystery. It is a tiny tiny thing in the world of the cell that has had a very large impact on our lives. It is a world of mystery that has solved a huge mystery in our lives, and is solving mysteries in many other people’s lives.

I began making an independent piece of DNA just to see what problems I would encounter in the making.

This DNA thing is a new frontier in discovery. Man has only begun to travel into this world. We are only in the very beginning of our exploration...I know that my attempts to understand it are useless. I know that my attempts to replicate it in any artistic way will be so feeble and inadequate as to be useless.

But I do have something...I have good feelings about what it means to me and my family. And so, like David dancing, I can just express my joy in the mystery. My joy that DNA is for me, "Evidence of Presence". Presence of a maker who created this new world of the cell we are only beginning to explore. A "Presence" who's own DNA permeates the physical world, the spiritual world and the world of my own personal soul.

The only adequate way to represent this "Evidence of Presence" is not with perfect replications that are impossible for me to do, but with something that embodies and exudes my wonder, appreciation and joy of the "Presence". Only that kind of work, though crude in representation, is the only way I know that might make it acceptable.

"Then I was the craftsman at his side. I was filled with delight day after day, rejoicing always in His presence."
Pro. 8:30 





No comments: