Sunday 18 March 2012

"Counting Reps" Deep into Retirement

As you can see, the next project(s) are on their way.

An example of the large life-size work
done by Mike Chatterley

Last year I ran across an article about an artist, Mike Chatterley who caught my attention. As I went about making pieces for my art show I was challenging myself to begin making some of my work larger. Well, his stuff is huge!

As you can see, Mike has gone way beyond “large”...his pieces are more than life size. The article explained how he was concerned for himself having to move these pieces around, not only in and out of the kiln, once for bisking, then out for applying glazes and again back into the kiln for the second firing. He also has constant showings going on so they have to be moved to the show, carried into the building from his van, up stairs etc. They then have to be moved to be assembled in the showing area. And of course this all has to be repeated when the show is over. Now there is a new meaning to “strength in numbers!”)

Makes my pieces look like a piece of cake.

He explained how to keep himself in shape he went to the gym three times a week and then also did one weekly session of aerobics. “I try to maintain my strength so I can move my own work around.”...”I imagine someday I might have to hire assistants or get a fork lift to move the work ...but until then, I think of it as a free work out.”

Last year I learned a lesson in how quickly one can pull something and be severely limited and in pain for a long period of time. During cleaning for an absent staff member, I impulsively picked up an item that was unexpectedly heavy. I ripped some muscles in my back which severely limited my activity for some time. I realised how important it was to stay in shape, not only to just generally feel better about life and living, but to prevent such unexpected and painful surprises that can change your life.

No, I’m not planning to make pieces that large but it feels good that the injury has healed. It feels good to be in shape and to be once again actively producing new stuff (as you can see above) without being limited by an injury and the pain that goes along with it.

I have to say, for an old guy like me, having no real health issues is a true blessing. For that reason alone I am happy to continue going to the gym, and continue counting reps., to do what I can to ensure I am healthy and productive deep into my retirement years.

“At the end of the ten days they looked healthier and better nourished than any of the young men who ate the royal food.”
Daniel 1:15

No comments: