Saturday 24 March 2012

Mercy Flight in Progress

"Mercy Flight"
in progress.

On my way to the studio I realized I had actually teased you with the photo of a piece I was beginning. It looked like “mitts” extending into the air. “What is that guy up to now?” you asked. Sorry to make you wait a whole week for explanations!

During the art show, I always felt that my “6.5 Weeks” piece was not the whole story, and needed a companion piece or more to complete or at least round out the message. It seemed so abrupt. It also seemed so final.

Monday I spent the day in my studio and found that my mind was restless. I had an idea of what I might do for this companion piece but could not get into it. I did some of those little time consuming things that need to be done, like fixing cracks on bone dry pieces in preparation for firing etc. Finally, when I’d had supper I walked into the studio and I began. In two and a half hours I had made the mitts you saw in the last blog.

Wednesday, after our “Band of Brothers” meeting at “St. Timmys” which ended around 7:30AM I went directly to my studio and lost myself in the making of feathers on these mitts. What you see above is six and a half hours of work making feathers! I’ve finished a hand and a half and I’m excited.

Just yesterday I decided on a working title, “Mercy Flight”.  The “6.5 Weeks” represents the terrifying and painful experience, this one represents the deliverance from that horrible experience. It was not the ending we were of course expecting and wishing for but under the circumstances, with no other help available, her going into hypothermic unconsciousness in the cold weather was an act of mercy. Later, she quietly passed through death’s door to the well deserved door of an eternal life of joy and peace.

That’s the main reason for the piece. It has other layers also, for we as a family and I myself have now, after the trial, in retrospect also felt a sort of deliverance and freedom. Often we (as a family) have looked at each other and expressed how “different” things seem to be now. The anniversary days are easier. We seem to be delivered in some way to a new life energy, expressing itself in many different ways, in really every aspect of our lives.

We have our “peace” back. We certainly have experienced mercy.

“Let me fall into the hands of the Lord, for his mercy is very great...”
1 Chronicles 21:13




No comments: