Sunday 19 May 2013

A Sword in the Hand....


This was a very busy week. I negotiated a new contract and even spent some time out of town accompanying Wilma on a speaking engagement. It was nice to get away for a bit.

In spite of all this, I did get into the studio for a few hours and continued work on the figure that will some day sit on the throne of swords. 

Not only did I continue working of muscle tone and texture but as you can see I placed a sword in his left hand. The blade goes alongside and is attached to the right hand. Then it continues on to the right knee where again it is attached. My hope is that this will be a stabilizing factor for the two legs and the two hands hanging down between the knees. Also, this way the thin sword blade itself is also supported. 

This is one of those occasions where the sword looks rather casual. Anyone viewing the piece will not be conscious of the swords many roles in the sculpture, except that the king is just holding a sword. Meaning, for the viewer that it is simply making him "one" with the throne of swords he's already sitting in. You could call it a win-win kind of situation.

The next item is the head. I have finally decided what to do with that so check in next week regarding that aspect of this project.

"When I said, "My foot is slipping," your unfailing love, Lord supported me."     Psalm 94:18



No comments: