Sunday 26 May 2013

Get a Grip Eh!

Getting a Grip!

How many swords are there on a "Throne of Swords"? Hundreds. This week I spent hours not getting a grip but giving a grip, to each sword handle! 

I could not help but think about how any soldier would make sure he would have a sword that fit his hand well. That he would be able to have a good solid grasp of the sword. For, in the middle of the action loosing a grip on your sword could cost you your life. A good grasp of your weapon would be vital.

Even athletes today work hard at making sure they have a good grip on their tools of the trade. Hockey players, especially now in the playoffs, will wind tape onto their sticks each in a special unique way to prevent losing their grasp in an important moment. Wight lifters put special powder on their hands to increase their grip. 

Often, having observed someone not doing well, we have heard the comment, "get a grip." Meaning do whatever it takes to get your act together so next time you will not fail, stumble or be so ineffective.

But, the term "get a grip" also has to do with lack of performance, confusion or just lack luster results. It means we need to back off and change our approach. We may need to get some sleep, do our homework and study, practice or whatever it takes to up our game. 

I remember when my chance came to prepare for my first art show. It became clear in June that the date the art gallery would become  available was in February of the next year. That meant I had seven months to prepare for my first art show. The problem was I had only one piece ready and a second one half ready! I had just moved into my studio and had no idea how many pieces I'd have ready or even could have ready by that date. 

When the call came, I said "yes", I would take the opportunity.  Then, I went back to my studio and realized I had a difficult task ahead of me, especially as I'd never done this before. I had to have at least 10 pieces. Did I even have 10 ideas? I realized I had too...you guessed it... "Get a grip", bear down, do what I had to do, focus and get the job done. To my relief, it all turned out, way beyond my expectation.

While I'm writing this the Rangers have just "got a grip" and scored in overtime, surprising everyone, winning the game. This is the game where the Boston goalie Rask, tripped and had to watch helplessly as a slow dribbler went right by him into the goal! Get a grip eh! You could say the "bounces" went the Rangers way!

"Then the children of Israel did evil in the sight of the Lord. So the Lord delivered them into the hand of Midian for seven years. "     Judges 6;1


  



No comments: