Sunday 12 May 2013

What's He Hiding?


I have been spending time on this figure, slowly reworking and detailing the the surface of his body. 

It is interesting how I work on him for a few hours in the morning lets say, go for lunch and when I return I see something new that needs to be worked on or corrected. I then ask myself, why did I not see that before? Why is it that when I remove myself for a period of time and when I return see more clearly the affect of my work? Is it that I'm more objective suddenly? Is it that as I work, I get to comfortable with what is, allowing my brains judgment is negatively affected? 

It seems that I am more aware of my mistakes, absurdities etc. if I can remove myself for a period of time. Like my minds meters of distances, lengths and sense of proportions re-adjusts, correcting itself during my absence. Then when I return, I'm surprised at what I've done, the errors I see and wonder just how I did not see those before.

So, I've learned to be patient with myself, and when I do return, to take care to re-asses the whole piece for I know it is then that I am most able to see what seems to out of order.

Syras our clinical psychologist son, is presenting a series of workshops he calls "Ministry of Listening." In his first session he made clear to us that when we are relating/listening to someone, we do not really know the person we are listening too. Our knowledge of them is like seeing an ice-berg, in that only a small portion of their person-hood is visible to us, while the larger part of them (like any iceberg) is under the water, which we and even the person we are listening to is not aware of. We will have to come back again and again, listen and learn and even then, will never fully discover all the aspects of the unseen things about their personality. 

I have to go away, and come back again and again to "listen" to the sculpture I'm creating. I need to go away and come back many times to discover and learn and understand both the physical aspects and also some of what he is made of inside. It's only in coming back that I can see anew the areas that need adjusting, but also that I learn of who he really is. Only then can I really reflect that more accurately in the physical aspect of my creation. 

I need to be quiet, look and listen and then respond in adjusting the little minute aspects of his physical presentation/appearence that will then as nearly as possible reflect who he really is. 

Then, I know he will also reflect, who I truly am!

"Then King David went in and sat before the Lord and he said: "Who am I, Lord God, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far?""   1 Chronicles 17:16

No comments: