Saturday 25 May 2013

Lessons About Life and the "F" Word on the Farm - 2

"The -F-Word"

"70 X 7"
Installation Art of Tears by Odia Derksen

I was telling someone about the new subject matter I had begun on the long weekend. When I mentioned the title he looked at me kind of quizzically and asked, "...the -F- word?"

Immediately, I realized I'd overlooked explaining that little detail with my first blog. So I would bet that 90 percent of you went straight to the "F" bomb word! Wouldn't blame you if you did. Those of you who know me, know I don't use that word. For you it would become a question, what word could it be? Farm, friend, family, funny, fox...what?

Our daughter Odia's art tells it all. In an instillation 7 feet square she's crocheted and hung 490 tears representing Christ's teaching that we must (here it is...) "forgive", not once, twice or three times but 70 X 7 times. Which means it is to be a lifestyle. An ongoing stream of conscious and unconscious forgiving going on all the time. This is the culture I grew up in as a Mennonite. 

My parents and community were "people of the Book". Believing in a Christ centered life, committed to non-violence, forgiveness and peacemaking. As a child I was taught to love my enemies and respond with positive creative action if at all possible. I was taught that evil could be, and would be, defeated with sacrificial and unconditional love. 

My ancestors were severely persecuted, tortured and even killed for their faith and beliefs. They tried to respond in love, peace, forgiveness and nonviolence. There are many stories, even a book called "The Martyrs Mirror" recalling many sad incidents of torture and death. An iconic story most widely known is of a Mennonite, Dirk Willems, who was fleeing from his would be torturers in the middle of winter. In his attempt to lose them Dirk began crossing a frozen lake. One of the men chasing him decided to followed him across the ice. As Dirk continued his flight, he suddenly heard the ice give way and cries for help. Turning, he noticed the his antagonist had broken through the ice and was floundering in the water, drowning. Dirk stopped running. He knew going back to help the man was signing his death warrant. Yet, to let the man, any man die when he could have saved him was unthinkable. He knew he had to do the Christ-like thing. Dirk made a choice, went back, assisted his attacker out of the water saving his life. He was of course subsequently arrested, and later burned at the stake. He willingly sacrificed himself to save another.

Last week I mentioned some reasons why I appreciated growing up on the farm. But to grow up in a family and community that introduced me to "forgiveness" in all it's many aspects is what I am most grateful for. Forgiveness is the greatest gift to mankind. It can break us free from our messed up past, and give us "life" for the future, here and in the here-after. I know all this because I am a satisfied customer. Every day I thank God for this amazing gift that many have had the good fortune to discover. And to think that through no choice of my own I grew up immersed in a community that lived it and breathed it. I had hit the jackpot! Simply, totally astounding. What a gift!

What may surprise you is that, in spite of it's gift and value, there are many who will not understand it, appreciate it or accept it as part of their lives. Life, even in this environment was not always paradise and I did have a few opportunities in my growing up years to make the decision to actually make it personal and put it into practice. When you are immersed in it, it's not always appreciated for the value it has. I did have to learn that and make it my own.

Because, I too am a "person of the Book" here are some thoughts I can share with you for I know these by heart....

"Bless those who persecute you, bless and do not curse them...Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, as it is written, 'Vengeance is mine, I will repay,' says the Lord."    Romans 12: 14, 19.








No comments: