Saturday 25 August 2012

Finishing Well # 3.




Things are really coming to a head!

The “head” of anything is very important. When we look at a person/animal/being we naturally want to see the head. Our eyes simply move there because we will learn a lot about the life form we see by observing the head and the features of this head.

The head of any creature will tells me a lot, and decisions will be made within fractions of seconds regarding what I see. For, besides the shape and make-up of the head (Animal, human, alien etc. that being an important revelation right there!) it also holds the facial features of the being. This is really what I want to see. It’s the facial expression that reveals it’s mindset to a large extent and will give me a clue as to how I must begin relating. Is it angry? If so do I need to defend myself or run? Is it happy? Again my response will be dictated by what I see. If it’s human and I see a glum facial expression I need to decide what I say, if anything. If it’s a face showing joy, it is much easier and I can respond with a smile and an expression of gladness in my voice and words of greeting. These are things I look for and respond to in fractions of a second. I don’t even think about what I am doing here, it comes natural and it is absolutely necessary so I can begin relating in an appropriate way.

So when people come to view this sculpture, they will be jarred first of all because the head and the body do not match! This is obviously not normal! Why would a human body have an obvious animal, even fox kind of head? Then, secondly there is the expression of the face. It is sort of questionable...looking through a telescope, (also not normal) tongue sensuously liking it’s lips with kind of angry or questioning eyebrows. So, now we need help. This is confusing, even disconcerting. The help comes from the name, “Foxy David”....

Definition of “Foxy”: “is a description of sly discrete young lady’s, (or men) that are on the hunt... foxy is a term that can relate to anything and anyone at any time.” Urban Dictionary.

All of this just  to indicate that the foxy head is a way of getting the viewers attention and the mind bender process involved in attempting to solve the riddle. Then the realisation of the humour of the piece (hopefully) when arriving at the knowledge that it’s about King David ogling the beautiful bathing Bathsheba. Using the "foxy head" to modernise the old "never to have been considered funny" old Biblical story. It's the physical different "foxy" (cultural slang inserting new meanings) head that brings a new and surprising present day slant on it all. 

It’s my playing with the human process of analysing the head. Once you realise what has inspired this piece you will begin to see other much more serious elements in the piece which speak to the various sad consequences as a result of his unfortunate actions following the ogling of the lady.

As you can see, I’ve just begun to paint the darker brown colour onto the fur, then rubbing, leaving the darker brown in the crevices which highlights the furry aspects of the head.

Things have come to a head!

“Then the prophet went and stood by the road waiting for the king. He disguised himself with his headband down over his eyes.”
1 Kings 20:38

No comments: