Sunday 26 August 2012

Thank You My Family

                                           “It makes my heart thump” she said...



This week I experienced a treat. We had my sister-in-law and her husband in town, visiting because of a family function on her husband’s side. They were very thoughtful and took several breaks from that event to do some things with us. One of these things was to come and visit me in my studio. I was delighted.

When they arrived I opened the door letting them into the entrance area. They paused, staring at the “formidable” stairs going up to the second floor. They both turned and looked back at me with large questioning eyes, confirming if it was true that they would actually have to ascend these stairs to the second floor. It was then I was reminded they both had very grey, I mean really white hair! “No problem” they responded almost in unison, with might I say, an appreciated “forced enthusiasm,” and away we went....slowly up the stairs.
I happened to have several pieces out and we discussed them one by one. They were very kind in their appreciation of what I was doing. Since they had missed both my showings to this point, they had seen only pictures of my work.

I was also trying to be sensitive to their interest. Did they really want to see more? I actually have all my pieces in my studio, wrapped up and ready to go for any future showing. After I’d explained this and became aware of their time constraints, they chose two pieces they would like to see. We worked together in fetching them from storage. I unpacked them one by one and set them out in a well lit place for them to view and photograph.

It felt a little like opening night of an art show. This is a time when viewers come to see the art for the first time and have the unique advantage of having the artist present. It’s a time where they can discuss the work with the artist, ask questions and so on. And so it was in this case.

The other side of it is, the artist can see the raw reactions to his or her art. This can be very informative for the artist. Something the artist can remember as the creative work continues.

You have heard the saying, “A prophet is not accepted in his own country.” Family is very special.

The recognition, appreciation, understanding and support of family in my creative work is a priceless gift.

Thank you, my family.

“...consider this: You do not support the root, but the root supports you.”
Romans 11:18

No comments: