Saturday 4 August 2012

Inching Towards Clarity



Last weekend in my “Change of Pace” blog I began working on a potential sculpture for my talk on Oct. 11 on “Forgiveness and Mental Health.”  I have not seen any promotion on this event so the title my be worded somewhat different, but this is what it is about.

Let’s see, I’ve moved somewhat in my thinking. First, the throne. It is still a toss-up as to what kind of throne I will use. In my research I ran across the “Throne of Coronation” which is used by the Hebrews, Irish, Scottish and English to crown their monarchs. Including Queen Elizabeth 2. Under the seat is a stone called “The Stone of Destiny”. Now in all the excitement of learning all of this I did two sketches using this throne. Now, I did also make some other variations but, I had to decide on a throne. So I lined them all up and it became really clear. No matter how much sentiment I might have for a particular throne, like the “Throne of Coronation” it was obvious that the one made of swords was the way to go. This kind of throne speaks to the mindset and evil end of one who allows unforgiveness in their life. It speaks of not letting go, continually thinking about wishing bad things onto those who have offended you. Then moving to looking for chances to actually do something to make life miserable for them and so on. Before you know it, roots of bitterness are present and growing and allowing that to happen will only result in problems and issues that will bring one’s own life and relationships into jeopardy.
I’ve decided that the next sketch will be a throne of this nature, probably using not only swords but other military items that may speak to Saul’s particular issues. So that has been decided.

Also, the emotion of the piece. I am thinking now that he look older, tired, but angry and dangerous. I think I’ll also move the spear back to the middle like in the image last weekend. He’s looking to “fresh” in the one above!

Then, there is the question of the “roots”. How would I represent that? Here my left brain kind of took over and I struggled with tree roots growing up out of the ground and as in the past sketch becoming a throne etc. Where would I put the tree trunk? Under the chair? And so on. This resulted in weird and cheesy mental images that just would not make sense. I had to remind myself that I’m not going for reality here so it wasn’t until I sketched the piece above that I allowed the roots to come from his heart and spread from there. What an answer! After all, it’s inside the person the roots are developing, spreading  and doing their destructive work. So that works for me.

As you can see, this image has the king without clothing on! Reminded me of that story "The King Who Had No Cloths." Everyone else could see the truth but not the king. Same with roots of bitterness. They are not easy for the unforgiving person to see. Yet others can see it! Ouch. Saved me time on doing research on what Kings of that time wore though, fantastic.

So, I will make him semi-nude. This also helps in making the roots going in and out of his body and binding him, much more clear to the viewer.

Do you know that there are some groups that have and are working hard to prove that Queen Elizabeth 2nd. is a direct descendant of King David? Amazing. I wonder if it’s true?

“Their grapes are filled with poison, and their clusters with bitterness.”
Duet. 32:32

No comments: