Sunday 19 August 2012

"I Can See Clearly Now...."




I have already bugged you all with two blogs having to do with the development of a particular sculpture having to do with King Saul. Sorry about that, but this is a process and I’m slowly gaining traction on the thing. I think!

OK, I’ve represented this in several sketches already and I have basically rejected both, except that there are some elements I will keep. So far I’ve rejected the chair/throne of roots. To much like a wicker chair! Not really communicating the feeling of rage, mental illness and bitterness for the situation. Looks more like a chair for relaxation on the deck!

Then I had the more updated throne and again, I rejected that one for the same reason in that it did not help the basic message of the piece. It’s a great throne with lots of history but not for this piece. I’m not sure why I’d moved away from my first idea of  the dramatic and vicious  “Game of Thrones” chair.  It just seems to help making decisions with a visual and that way I can “see” what will work more clearly.

So, now I’ve done a sketch of the king on that throne. Much better. Speaks exactly to the kind of mind and attitude Saul had in the end.

The last drawing before this one had roots moving through his torso, binding his limbs etc. I like that as a representation of his bitterness. Rooted in his heart and limiting and guiding his decisions in many ways. I will also keep that snake head idea for the sculpture.

Now, to render this in clay will be a different matter. There is a lot of “fine” stuff happening, like all those sword blades sticking up out of the throne and that spear in his hands. That’s what can so easily break when it is fired and becomes ceramic. This will be a new challenge. I may have to change the style and form on how I do this so that the piece will not be too fragile and yet communicate the message.

Stay tuned! I’m sure I’ll be boring... sorry “exploring” that subject with you in the future!

“If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.”
James 1:5

No comments: